Server virtualization software divides physical servers into multiple virtual segments that can be managed independently. Server virtualization products, commonly referred to as hypervisors, are used by organizations to partition dedicated servers into scalable virtual instances called virtual private servers (VPS). Virtual private servers created with server virtualization software can each host a unique operating system and be managed independently through an integrated hosting control panel. Organizations use server virtualization software to allocate server resources among virtual machines for workload optimization. Virtual machines created with server virtualization software are often more flexible and reliable to manage than unpartitioned servers. Organizations that house and manage servers internally implement server virtualization software to reduce strains on resources. Additionally, server virtualization software is commonly used by hosting service providers to offer VPS hosting services to their customers.
To qualify for inclusion in the Server Virtualization category, a product must:
- Allow users to partition physical servers into multiple virtual instances
- Enable easy management of scalable virtual environments
- Offer access to a built-in or third-party control panel through which virtual servers can be managed
Server Virtualization Software Grid Overview
The best Server Virtualization Software are determined by customer satisfaction (based on user reviews) and scale (based on market share, vendor size, and social impact) and placed into four categories on the Grid:
- Leaders are rated highly by G2 Crowd users and have substantial scale, market share, and global support and service resources. Leaders include: XenServer, Hyper-V, and VMware vSphere
- High Performers are highly rated by their users, but have not yet achieved the market share and scale of the Leaders.
- Contenders have significant Market Presence and resources, but have received below average user Satisfaction ratings or have not yet received a sufficient number of reviews to validate the solution. Contenders include: Oracle VM
- Niche solutions do not have the Market Presence of the Leaders. They may have been rated positively on customer Satisfaction, but have not yet received enough reviews to validate them. Niche products include: Proxmox VE